Products sold at the Eat Local Sudbury Co-operative Store are purchased based on the following hierarchy:
Level 1: Certified Organic local food
Level 2: Ecologically-grown local food
Level 3: Locally-grown food
Level 4: Certified Organic Ontario-grown food
Level 5: Ecologically-grown Ontario food
Level 6: Ontario-grown food
Level 7: Canadian Grown Food
Level 8: Sustainably Produced Imported Organic Foods
1. Locally-grown food: Whole food products (i.e. vegetables, meat, etc) grown within a 150-mile radius of the City of Greater Sudbury OR value-added food products (i.e. jams, pickles, pies) that are made within 150-mile radius of the CGS AND contain at least one main ingredient grown within a 150-mile radius of the CGS.
2. Ontario-grown food: Whole food products grown within the province of Ontario OR value-added food products that are made in Ontario AND contain at least one main ingredient grown within Ontario.
3. Certified organic food: Food products that have been certified by a regulatory body as meeting all the requirements of organic food production and that are labelled as such.
4. Ecologically-grown food:
Humanely-raised (i.e. access to pasture during the summer months and adequate space over the winter)
Free of growth hormones and sub-therapeutic antibiotics
Free from Genetically Modified Organisms (GMOs)
Free from chemical pesticides and fertilizers
5. Canadian Food: Food grown and/or processed within Canada, free from Genetically Modified Organisms (GMO), sustainably grown (either ecologically or organically) and independently or cooperatively owned, where as to maintain commitments to local economies. With preference given to those that are grown or processed within the closest distance to ensure minimal impact on the environment.
6. Sustainably Produced Imported Foods: Foods otherwise not currently grown in Canada, sustainably produced (either ecologically or organically). With preference given to those that are grown or processed within the closest distance to ensure minimal impact on the environment.
7. Value Added Products (Not including Meats): Any Product that has been modified from its original state through the process of cutting, cooking, packaging and/or blending with other products. Preference will be given to those products containing locally grown ingredients and adhering to all included product policy criteria.